Wednesday 29 October 2014

The CWGC App

The new app from the CWGC is free and was launched last week - a key feature is that it allows you to seek out CWGC sites near your current location - very handy in an area that has a large number of scattered graves that are easy to miss. In Cirencester last weekend I came across an unusual memorial to a member of the 1st Battalion, Somerset Light Infantry. It would have saved me a bit of time if the app had a feature that mentioned it was different in size and shape to other CWGC headstones, but that might be asking too much.

Sgt Harry Waters died of wounds on 25 Oct 1914 - most likely he was a casualty of the successful assault on Le Gheer that the Somersets carried out that week, but it is possible he was injured earlier - I will post again if I can find out more. Likewise if I get time I will find out more L/Cpl Jack Waters. It is in good condition but the area around could do with some TLC

Cirencester Cemetery Sgt Harry Waters


No comments:

Post a Comment